Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Oh Boy, Now It Gets Weird.

So would I be correct in saying Manga is to Comics, as Anime is to Cartoons? Depends on your definition of analogy I guess.
This time, on LITERATURE...OF...COMICS (dragon ball z reference), we dive into the world of manga, the beautiful Japanese version of comics. This week I began reading manga such as "Ranma 1/2" and "Astroboy." Although I've read a few modern manga, such as "One Punch Man", illustrated above, I gained a better understanding of the genre by reading this slightly older stories. Ranma 1/2 was slightly strange, having a main character turn into a girl whenever doused with cold water, and back into a boy with hot water, but the characters, conflicts, and overall tone of the comic was very enjoyable. Astroboy was also very likable, though I didn't have the same sense of joy or enjoyment as with Ranma 1/2, due to only reading the beginning, which seemed very dark for such a childlike character. It almost had a Pinocchio vibe to it, if Pinocchio was thrown away by Gepetto like yesterday's news.
These helped me understand the vast amount of genres that manga are allowed to dive into.

No comments:

Post a Comment